Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Addiction and Help

I loved Mindy's post about addiction. I was just telling my hubby last night that I think I have a problem with food. This is something new, within the past year, that I really noticed. I use food as a coping mechanism. We got some stressful news last night and how did I cope...I went out and ate like crap. For the past year, this is what I do. I used to be a talker. I talked about my problems, about my feelings, I did not hold anything in. Well, over the past few years I have found things in my life that I just can't talk about. I have no one close to me that can even comprehend or relate even a little bit. Therefore, I don't talk and when I feel stressed or upset or emotional or anything that I cannot deal with.....I eat to cover it up. This scares me! I actually have it on my to-do list today to find a therapist in my area. I cannot talk to my family or friends about the things I am dealing with, but instead of eating myself into a stupor to deal with it, I am going to find someone that I CAN talk to about it! This is step #1 to my recovery. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I too am an emmotional eater...and it's hard to change! But it is possible...so go for it girl!!! You deserve it! NO matter what your problems remember..."This too shall pass."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. You need to find someone. I can be a great listener if you need. Okay I may not live in the same country as you but if you need to get something out, I am more than happy to be there. You can email or whatever. That may help as you can really say anything as there is no judgement. You could also try journalling, no one may listen but at least you get to say what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a fantastic idea! my next piece of advice would be to make sure that you use them. i went to a therapist for a while and found that i was telling her what i thought she wanted to hear instead of the truth. just remember, they get paid to listen to you talk and no matter how silly you think it is, or you think they will think it is, if you're thinking/feeling it then it's important and they should listen. :0) Good luck! i really think this will be fantastic for you. keep up the good work toward good health.
    - mindy

    ReplyDelete